Sunday, March 22, 2009

Baby Cakes

Oh how I love my boy! He is as close to a perfect child as one can get. I cannot remember anything REALLY naughty that he has done until now....

I love to throw a baby shower! I recently threw a shower for a friend who was expecting her third baby girl. All she needed was diapers so we made it a diaper shower. So I went diaper crazy - felt diapers folded with a safety pins for the napkins, favor holders and even in felt on the invites!


And of course the diaper cakes (256 diapers worth of cake)!




The center piece was to be a fondant covered cake in the shape of a baby wearing a diaper and lying under a blanket. Now my best friend Katie - and the Ace of Cakes make fondant look oh so easy. Well - as a first timer I can officially say it is much harder than it looks. I spent 5 hours working with the stuff, and I finally came up with a product I would settle for.
The morning of the shower I came down stairs to find this:


My perfect boy had decided to "try a little" of my baby. Oh sodomy! My poor baby! Anywhere that there was butter cream on one side, it was wiped clean. Four toes were missing and there was this gaping hole in the babies bottom. I literally had to call my husband who had already left for church (he's a pastor) to come home and take my precious child out of my presence, before I said or did something that would require him to have therapy over cake and diapers in 20 years! And my dear husband - obliged - immediately!
Here is the first phase in the correction. Toes are back on, and
butter cream is beginning to come back.


Well, my super great friend Vanessa came over and saved the day, she helped me with the food prep as I fixed my poor little babies' bottom and it made a super great opening story for the shower and a memory that will never be forgotten!

The finished product on the drink table. Notice the addition of the buttercream dots to cover the "problems" (and yes, the ladies drank out of baby bottles!)

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh. My. Goodness. I want to laugh, but I would have been livid. OK, I'm going to laugh. And someday you will, too. :) What a story to tell at his 1st date...and wedding...and any other time that parent's need to pull out an embarassing story! "Remember when you ate the babies toes and part of it's rear end?"

Amber said...

Super Cute Cake!!